Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Overcoming To Reach Our Dreams

I sit hear listening to worship music. It is late or early depending on how you look at the time. Insomnia strikes hard at me sometimes. I have written other words that I have left as a draft and I now write these words instead.

It has been eight years since I have graduated seminary with the dream of teaching people about Jesus. Since then I spent time as a jeweler, a banker, and now I am a teacher.  A mentor back in seminary told us in a class that when we graduate if we had not made it in ministry by the first five years, then we would probably never get there. Most people who graduate never get into ministry. That was pretty heavy stuff to say to young seminarian hopefuls.

As I sit here I turn these words over in my head like prayer beads in the hands of a monk. The question that follows in my mind is this, have you given up on your dream? I cannot help but smile at the concept of giving up. My mentor meant those words to be a cautionary tale to push us, but one wonders if he knew that they are seeds that can choke and kill dreams. I am not say I have given up, I am bring up a point that for people who are not me, his choice words he gave us that day could have grown and choked out dreams causing them to settle. 

Dream killers can come from anywhere in our lives like the television, statistics, books, family, friends and even the pulpit. They can be as simple as a “keep your feet on the grounds” to a “you need to be real.” They can be your own thoughts or even your words to someone else. Words can have profound affect on us. They can chain us, hinder us, or others; but I am telling you it does not have to be that way!

I do not settle and neither should you. These are my words to you my readers. Do Not Settle life is meant to be more. It is never too late. I love teaching but for me it is but a step, a moment, a vapor in my destiny that is preparing me to be one great teacher of the word. My time is coming my dream is alive. What is great about my analogy is that when you remove a weed, a plant can be coaxed to recover or a new one planted. It can grow and it can be better then what was originally planted. 

So what have you given up on? What do you think is impossible? What dream is in the back of your head still trying to shine?

Reach out! age, time, and decisions are not things that have to stop you. God is a Father of wonders and your life is one of them. You can always change it to shine as bright and as glory filled as you are willing to go.

Matthew recorded my lord and teacher, Jesus saying it best:

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" (ESV)

So reach out, let your heart ask and seek. Take steps in the direction your soul pulls your to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment