To those who know me it is no surprise that I love stories. I love thinking them up, reading them, watching them even when think about cooking I find there is always a story. Those who follow Jesus know he taught in wonderfully elaborate stories that seemed always to have humor or a twist. I only bring this up because I want to highlight my favorite type of story.When push comes to shove stories about brotherhood and a strong family connection always seem to move to the depths of who I am. Stories like the Three Musketeers, The Last Samurai, Fellowship of the Ring, Starship Troopers, and even Ender's Game are classics to me not because who wins or the journey but because of the brotherhood. Even anime such as One Piece or Naruto, which I get knuckled from other about center on this idea of the community and brotherhood that I can not draw myself away from.
As I have read countless tales of such strong honor and deep commitment to people I see that it ties into my faith and my life. For instance a proverb some of you might have heard of is surround yourself with people who you want to be like. Over the years I wonder who I draw around me and who I want to be like. For me its those who choose the bonds of friendship and family over all. Those friends that are then when times are trouble to life you up or just stand silently beside you. Of course I will always want to be around those who are closer to God then myself but like a salad the more variation you have in the mix the more wonderful is the cornucopia of flavor, so it is with your companions.
I think so of us have all-stars in our lives that we like to give awards to or help out. For me I have quite a few and they are in my wedding and always included when I can in my life's major events. Brotherhood, family, and community move me. These bonds should be seen in our lives as the church. I am not talking about the clubs that meet on Sunday and Wednesday that decide to play at these things when it suits them (though that is not to say all are like that.) I am talking about our ever day situations and lives.
So who in your life exemplifies the idea of family, brotherhood and community. Has things changed with them because of distance? Or does time and distance have no affect on your relationship? If adversity has you trapped have they helped at times free you? Love binds the Christian walk, but if you turn these questions on yourself do you live up to the same standard? I know these question rise up periodically and remind me to look at myself. Brotherhood it is something that is rare in this century, cherish it; I know I do. Till my next rant...
... ponder, dream, grow and imagine.
No comments:
Post a Comment