Friday, August 24, 2012

The Passion Of Food

Passion is best described as a powerful and compelling emotion, such as love or hate.

We all have things we are passionate about. My top are simple Jesus, my family, a good story, steampunk, feeding people and cooking. I mention cooking last because it has been a high lighted in my life for most people lately. On my honeymoon I was lucky enough to have dinner at Ramsay Steak in Las Vegas. The whole experience was amazing from being seated to the meal and as my loved one knows it was a dream of mine to eat at one of my Culinary Hero's Restaurants.

Food is a experience to be shared and it creates a wonderful memory full of smells, colors, and hopefully great conversation. This is why I love cooking. With a bit of work what you create is a rich treasure; from breakfast to dinner it is something that can be special or horrible. We all have stories of good meals and bad meals, date meals and family suppers and they can be filled with all sorts of things from anger to laughter to crazy happenings.

On the other side of this is feeding the poor and homeless wether supplying food, making dinner or supplying simple sack lunches I am up for it. In Oklahoma I worked with Jason Hamlin working on feeding the world spiritually and physically. It was hard work and I would do again in a minute given the opportunity. Making sure people are feed and clothed is a joy that can only be experienced.

So were does this passion fall into my walk? Well Jesus thought meals were important enough to feed a multitude of people twice, celebrate at a wedding, get accused of going to eat with sinners, giving his last teaching at his last meal, and after being resurrected he snapped Peter from depression with a breakfast of bread and fish. God talks about a great wedding feast of the lamb and the Word taste as sweet as honey. It seems God intended food to be a unifier and something to be enjoyed.

Life is filled with wonders when you think about it. Trying new foods, activities and experiences should be a part of the Christian walk. For me I love hosting people or going to a dinner. For my wife she loves art events and a good show. God is trying to share things with us through our lives in the times of plenty when we are eating steak and caviar or times of poor when we are drinking water and eating ramen. Passion is a part of Love and as you seek to know God better I think he wants us to know our passions better. As I have gotten older those have come into sharper focus and as I have come closer to my Love my Jesus the order of importance has shifted.

What are you passionate about and were does it fall in your walk? Something to meditate on. Till next time... ponder, dream, grow and imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment