I have seen the word epidemic used in both a negative and positive context. The first is the AID's Epidemic, horrible disease and a horrible connotation. The second is using Epidemic to describe the change in prayer amongst youth which gives the word a different meaning positive spin.Today I am using it in the negative and before I do I will write a disclaimer. This post is not aimed at anyone in particular but inspired by recent experiences and observations. I see the rise of an epidemic in the body of American Christian believers on media sites, blogs and social network using it as platform. This in itself is not a wrong or a bad thing except for major the symptoms and side effects. This recent plague has seen a rise in prideful rebukes, self proclaimed prophets and poor theological exegesis. Unlike the church during Jesus' time filled with well educated Jews and Gentiles today's church are filled with self studied scholars. Now I am not saying a costly seminary education is needed. As a matter of fact give me a few hours and I could show you how to study using the internet and some great bible programs and a few books. The self scholar work is not the issue I rather encourage it. The problem is not having mentors or strong sounding boards.
We forget the the apostle followed the Master's example and like Jesus set their sights on mentoring in a rabbinical style so that not only where their proteges educated in the word but that they where educated in interpretation and everything else of the person who taught them. This method insured love and proper affective rebuke due to the close relationships between mentor and student. The internet takes all these things away and lets be honest our modern church does not have a system even close to matching the aforementioned style.
I only note this because of the some of the things I have seen on facebook, youtube and other sites really have me astonished at the audacity and lack of respect we have for one another. I know there are many things and many people I do not agree with in the body but I find the Lord knows better then me and his grace is sufficient to use people and their ministry to reach those who are not like me at all. Is our trust so lacking in the Lord we always rush to defend him or pull someone down? I think rebuking has its place in a proper context which the Bible seems to clearly define. If we want to follow the old paths then start in the Word.
I will finish with this, when the church has the ability to love one another as they love themselves and love God with there whole being then let us all begin to correct one another. Till then I have come to the conclusion that I will pass on what the Holy Spirit has taught to me knowing full well it will not jive with everyone. That I do not have relationships that allow me to correct everyone I see spouting heresies, bad theology or any other bad theological point of view. As a matter of fact I know I will throughly piss off many people when I start opening my mouth full time while others will just agree with me and ask questions.
Let's not forget Jesus was a homeless Messiah, who was a friend of sinner, an unconditional lover who put theology got hims crucified by the government of the time. I know that statement alone will cause a ruckus but the gospels show that to us. So let us think about what we say, where we say it and how we treat each other, because lets be honest the world is watching and the Bible is the most sold book on earth. Let's not verbally Crucify each other.
Till next time... ponder, dream, grow and imagine.
No comments:
Post a Comment