Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Regeneration All My Own


In seventh grade I began reading books because my seventh grade teacher bribed me to. She would reward me with a book if I finished one. It was a difficult time in my life when I faced my bullies, was betrayed by so-called friends and let alone with only words. In high school I began by reading Guardian of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, from there I read countless others until I began reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. I read and reread the series as Jordan came out with new books. While I was in seminary I have the please of hanging out with authors Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon. It was then that I discovered that Jordan was ill and only a few months later he would pass on. When Brian Sanderson was announced to complete his work I was amazed. At the beginning of this year because of my friends I began rereading the whole series in order to finally complete something I started so long ago. In November I completed my journey through the Wheel of Time.

I bring this up because it’s a part of me that need to closure. In life part of us needs a conclusion so we can move on and evolve. In the recent Doctor Who Christmas special he talks about the many faces we all wear through our lives and I think that is some of the most truest of truths found in Doctor Who. It is why we can relate to the Doctor he changes because of what happens in our lives. We might not change faces in the same way but we do change. Literature and stories have helped me throughout my life and that will never change whether I am writing or reading. This year bring to a close many things in my life. Behind I will be leaving old fears and insecurities, old conquest and ways of doing things, and I will leave old Jason's. In the Wheel of Time a new age has begun and in my life this is true to.

The Doctor is a new incarnation and so am I. Some to the old stuff will shine through but then again that’s not all bad. How will you change? What will you do with this next part of your journey? Something for you to think about as we enter the New Year.

Till next year Ponder, Dream, Grow and Imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment